If you’re thinking of getting a new tattoo in Philly, chances are you’re browsing the Internet, looking for the best tattoo shops to check out. Lucky for you, we’ve gathered the creme de la creme of Philly tattoo parlors, all in one place. In the following paragraphs, you’ll find a list of our top picks for tattoo studios in Philadelphia, alongside short descriptions and overviews of each studio’s tops services.
So, in no particular order, here are the best tattoo shops in Philadelphia you need to check out if you’re thinking about getting some fresh ink.
How We Selected Our Favorite Tattoo Shops? – Our favorite tattoo shops were selected based on the following criteria;
- Qualifications and experience: award-winning tattoo studios, studios with licensing, and accreditations to prove education, experience, safety, and health-protective measures, as well as other qualifications.
- Reputation: most-visited tattoo studios in Louisville, with exceptional public and online presence; ratings and comments proving excellent customer service and experience.
- Professionalism: tattoo studios providing a reliable service, judgment-free environment, accepting of everybody (different body types, wheelchairs, etc.).
- Responsiveness and availability: tattoo studios with the best approach to the customers; responsive, approachable, and available staff.
- Service variety: tattoo studios with different service options, from custom tattoos, cover-ups, and touch-ups, to permanent makeup, piercing, and body art or body jewelry options.
7 Best Tattoo Shops in Philadelphia
- Location: 18 East Lancaster Avenue Ardmore, PA 19003
- Website: https://www.blackmothtattooandgallery.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/blackmoth_tattoo/
- Services: Full custom tattoos, custom designs, body artwork, diverse style options, exhibitions for local artists
One of the finest tattoo parlors in Philly is The Black Moth tattoo studio, which is also doubling as a fine art gallery for the local artists. This tattoo studio provides the highest quality of tattooing, thanks to tattoo artists with decades of experience in the industry. The tattoo artists offer a range of tattoo style options, from geometric and Japanese, to traditional Americana and black & grey realism; also, anything in between.
The staff at the studio is highly professional since everybody strives to provide exceptional service to every single client. The studio is a judgment-free zone and every person is fully welcome. Black Moth has a stellar reputation in Philadelphia, so make sure to give this studio a visit and see for yourself.
- Location: 171 West Girard Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19123
- Website: https://www.centraltattoostudio.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/centraltattoostudio/
- Services: Full custom tattoos, custom designs, cover-up tattoos, rotating fine art exhibitions for local artists
Another tattoo studio doubling as a fine art gallery is the Central Tattoo Studio. This is a fine art-forward studio, where the tattoo artists aim to make a stronger connection between fine art and tattoo art. The tattoo artists are classically trained and educated, providing a range of breathtaking tattoo work.
You can get any style of tattoo, from black & grey realism, abstract, watercolor, or highly detailed dot or graphic work. You can expect to get a high-end tattoo at the Central studio, as well as have a great experience and meet some really awesome artists.
The Central Tattoo Studio welcomes every client interested in getting a tattoo. The studio is a judgment-free zone, so you can come here regardless of your body shape, size, race, color, ethnicity, and whatnot. So long you truly appreciate high-end tattoo art, this studio is completely available to you. The staff is super friendly and approachable, as well as informative and safety-oriented.
- Location: 610 South 4th Street Philadelphia, PA 19147
- Website: http://nokaoitikitattoo.com/home.php
- Services: Custom tattoos, custom designs, general tattoo services, piercing services
No Ka Oi Tiki is Hawaiian for ‘the very best’, so you know you’ll be getting the very best tattoo services at this tattoo studio.
Now, No Ka Oi Tiki is such an exceptional tattoo studio that it is even a member of the National Tattoo Association, as well as the Association of Professional Piercers. The tattoo artists provide high-end tattoo and piercing services, with a focus on the safety, health of the client, as well as aftercare.
At this tattoo studio, you can get a range of different tattoo styles, since the tattoo artists are experienced in almost every style or even size of the tattoo. The studio also has guest tattoo artists from other cities and countries, so that the clients can have an even more interesting experience. The in-house tattoo artists are super talented and professional, so you’ll be in safe hands either way.
- Location: 1625 East Passyunk Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19148
- Website: http://www.easternpasstattoo.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/easternpasstattoo/
- Services: Custom tattoos, custom designs, body art, diverse style options
If you’re looking for a tattoo studio that is a perfect mix between old-school and contemporary tattooing, then look no further than Eastern Pass Tattoo. This tattoo studio is established by a local veteran tattoo artists Scott Bakoss, who has decades of experience in the industry. The in-house tattoo artists are also highly experienced and educated individuals trained to provide the highest levels of service.
The tattoo studio is a part of the local artistic community. That is why the work provided is artistic and classical, with the touch of the newest styles, trends, as well as the old school inspiration. The tattoo studio focuses on cleanliness and safety, as well as on providing the clients with the best possible tattoo experience. Everyone is super nice and friendly, but also informative and approachable. The studio is a judgment-free zone, so everyone is welcome.
- Location: 823 North 2nd Street Philadelphia, PA 19123
- Website: https://www.nlibertytattoo.net/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/northernlibertytattoo/
- Services: Custom tattoos, custom designs, body art, diverse style options, piercings (lips, eyebrows, nostrils, tongues, other body parts)
Northern Liberty Tattoo is one of the best and most consistent tattoo studios in Philadelphia. Everything about the studio is outstanding; from the tattoo artists, variety of offers and services, to the fact that the studio welcomes guest tattooists from around the world. Northern Liberty Studio is a well-traveled shop, having attended numerous tattoo conventions across the country, and around the world.
At this tattoo studio, you can get whatever style of tattoo you want; the in-house tattoo artists excel in traditional styles, as well as realism, portraiture, and abstract geometrics, just to mention a few. There is also the piercing service, meaning you can get any part of your body pierced, judgment-free. The staff at the studio is super friendly and welcoming, making you feel really comfortable and at home.
- Location: 4371 Cresson Street Philadelphia, PA 19127
- Website: http://cressonstreettattoo.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cressonstreettattoo/
- Services: Custom tattoos, custom designs, cover-up tattoos, scar-covering tattoos
The Cresson Street Tattoo is a family-owned tattoo shop, originally established in 1995. The shop was reopened in 2014, and ever since, it has provided high-end, truly exceptional tattooing services to local, as well as clients from across the country. That is why this tattoo shop’s in-house artists are actually award-winning tattooists, meaning you’ll be getting a tattoo from the best professionals in the industry.
At this studio, people can get scar-covering tattoos. We thought it is important to mention this, since women who are breast cancer survivors, for example, can get incredible scar-covering tattoos.
This is an incredible and unique service not so many dare to offer, but Cressen Street Tattoo is up for any task. The staff at the studio is super friendly and welcoming, and the studio itself is a judgment-free environment. You can be sure to feel comfortable and well-taken care of.
Other Tattoo Shops In Philly To Check Out
- Philadelphia Eddie’s Chinatown Tattoo Serving as one of the oldest tattoo shops in Philly, the Eddie’s Chinatown Tattoo is a must-visit place for tattoo enthusiasts. At this shop, you can choose between different tattoo styles, or even get tattooed by some of the incredible guest tattoo artists. The in-house tattooists are exceptionally talented and professional; not to mention super friendly and informative. The tattoo shop has a stellar reputation in Philadelphia, so you know you’ll be in good hands with this one.
- Spirited Tattoo if you’re looking for an accepting, queer- and trans-accepting tattoo studio, then make sure to check out the Spirited Tattoo. The staff at this tattoo shop is incredibly friendly and accepting of everyone. The studio strives to provide exceptional tattoos and make everyone feel super comfortable during the process. Spirited Tattoo is known for being an award-winning studio where you can get anything, from a photorealistic, black & grey, or full color tattoo, to incredible custom designs.
- Valor Tattoo If you’re looking for a chill, unpretentious tattoo studio with a friendly and approachable staff, then the Valor Tattoo studio is for you. The staff here is super nice and strives to make you feel comfortable and relaxed during the whole tattooing process. You get also get a piercing here if you want or buy some of the exhibited prints and paintings done by the studio’s in-house tattooists. Did we mention that the artists do an incredible job at creating highly detailed, complex tattoos? Well, now you know, so make sure to pay them a visit!
- 16 Top-Rated Tattoo Shops In Atlanta: Ratings, Services, and Experience
- The Best Tattoo Shops In Boston: Where To Get Inked in Beantown?
- Best Tattoo Shops In NYC: Enjoy The Best Body Art In The Restless City
- 12 Best Tattoo Shops In Chicago (2023 Updated)
- 9 Best Tattoo Shops in Maryland: Detailed Reviews (2023 Updated)
- 9 Best Tattoo Shops in Louisville Kentucky (2023 Updated)