It is no secret that the majority of professional tattoo artists use Dragonhawk tattoo machines and pens to create some of their best masterpieces. So, naturally, one would assume that the Dragonhawk equipment is one of the best on the market. But, for a beginner, can you really count on this brand, and if so, how good and accessible is it for those starting out in the business.
Because everyone on the Internet seems to have nothing but words of praise for Dragonhawk, we’ve decided to take a look ourselves and give you an honest review about the Dragonhawk machines. We’ll analyze some of their most prominent models and see whether they’re really as good as people claim. So, without further ado, let’s get started!
About Dragonhawk Tattoo Equipment
Dragonhawk is a tattoo supply brand that creates equipment suitable for beginner and professional tattoo artists as well as people who do permanent tattoo makeup. With people in mind, Dragonhawk tries to provide an array of products made specifically for tattooing purposes. Their goal is to provide efficient and reliable equipment, that is also inexpensive and high-quality.
When it comes to their product offer, here’s what they have;
- Tattoo machines – there’s an array of different types of tattoo machines and tattoo pens for everyone, from beginner to professional tattooists and permanent makeup artists. The prices of the products start at the $50 range for a Coil Liner Tattoo Machine and go as high as $300 for a Rotary Tattoo Machine Pen with a wireless power supply.
- Tattoo kits – Dragonhawk tattoo kits comprise tattoo machines, tattoo guns and pens, needles, chargers, batteries, and other professional supplies, depending on the kit. The prices vary between $120 and $350, depending on the kit.
- Other tattoo supplies – ink, needles, silicone practice fake skin, transfer paper, tattoo tapes, stencil paper, battery power supply, anti-slip adhesives, power cord connectors, and so much more.
Dragonhawk Tattoo Machines: Honest Reviews
Now, let’s take a look at some specific Dragonhawk tattoo machines and see whether they’re as good as people claim them to be;
Dragonhawk Extreme X2 Rotary Tattoo Machine
This tattoo machine seems promising on paper, but in practice, you may experience some issues.
If you're a beginner, you can check it out since it's more on the affordable side. However, as a professional, you'd want a machine that's more reliable during important tattooing stages, like tattoo lining.
This tattoo machine is made from a solid block of pure brass. The machine is made using a powerful Japanese motor. Because of the spring and armature bar set-up, it has a stable frequency and stronger rebound than standard tattoo machines. There is also a special frame for smooth, quiet tattooing. It is connected to the power supply with a cord.
- Adjustable stroke length – 2.5mm to 4.2mm stroke length, adjustable by twisting the screw
- Suitable for shading, lining, and coloring of large areas
- Suitable for standard and cartridge needles
- Long-term use and durability due to the brass material
- No room for tension rubber band placement
- Might not be suitable for large grouping needles
- Professional tattooists have experienced issues during tattoo lining
Dragonhawk Extreme V2 Direct Drive Rotary Tattoo Machine
The Extreme V2 might be the best Dragonhawk tattoo machine out there. It simply works perfectly and allows the tattooist full control.
The machine is durable and will serve you for years to come. It behaves and looks like a high-end machine when in reality it is super affordable. The machine is smooth and can work for a long time without heating up. Overall, this machine is the reason Dragonhawk is such a popular tattoo supply brand.
The Extreme V2 Direct Drive tattoo machine is made to assist tattoo artists by providing accuracy and control throughout the tattooing process. The machine is made for precise and reliable tattooing. It has a clip cord connection and an overall simple design, which improves its performance and efficiency during tattooing. The machine can be used for a variety of different tattoo styles and techniques, which makes it suitable for almost every tattoo artist out there.
- Adjustable needle/stroke length – 1mm to 5mm stroke length
- High puncturing power and frequency
- Compatible with all brand disposable cartridge grips, as well as standard needles
- Suitable for tattoo lining, shading, and coloring
- Long-term use and durability
- Might be heavy for longer tattooing sessions due to the carbon steel frame
- To adjust the wheel, you have to stop tattooing and then continue
Dragonhawk Space Rotary Tattoo Machine
This is another exceptional Dragonwak machine, no doubt. For the price, you're getting a high-performance, lightweight tool that will ensure control and accurate tattooing. The machine is compatible with standard needles and is suitable for lining and shading.
Even though it is accessible to beginners, we recommend some practicing just to ensure proper alignment. Other than this, the Space tattoo machine is simply a logical choice if you want a reliable tool under $100.
Dragonhawk is known for making affordable, high-performance tattoo machines, and the Dragonhawk Space is one of them. This machine is super stable and lightweight, so it is excellent for longer tattooing sessions. It is convenient for beginners, as well as professional tattooists.
Also, there is no need for a rubber band with this machine, since it comes with a needle buckle. Because of the aluminum material, the machine is durable, lightweight, and powerful.
- Super affordable (under $100)
- Durable and high-performance
- Lightweight due to aluminum frame
- Quiet performance and smooth run
- Single-grip machine for better grip and control
- Beginners might need to practice with this machine, due to challenging alignment
- Can’t run for a long time (eg. 10 minutes at once), due to possibility of heating
Dragonhawk Raven II Rotary Tattoo Machine
The Raven II is one of the most advanced Dragonhawk tattoo machines. It has a full range of settings which are adjusted using the metal adjuster knob. The needle retainer can also be adjusted, tightened, or loosened. This machine is suitable for different tattoo styles and techniques; it will suit every tattooist’s preferences. It is made from scratch-resistant ABS plastic and has a lightweight metal frame. Because of its durability, you’ll be investing in a machine that will serve you for years.
- Suitable for semi-professional and professional tattooists
- Made with a Japanese motor
- Suitable for controlled, accurate movement and precision
- Lightweight and durable
- Uses moduled injected plastic
- Suitable for longer tattoo sessions
- There were cases where the machine loses and gain power due to voltage adjustment
- Possible loud, rattling noise during operation
- Power connection sometimes weak (but highly unlikely to happen)
Conclusion – This machine is excellent for semi-professional as well as professional tattoo artists. Because of its durability, ergonomic grip, and lightness, it is suitable for long tattoo sessions. It can run for a long time without heating. The machine has an excellent setting adjustment system while allows a smooth transition between different setting options. It is affordable compared to other machines of the same quality.
Dragonhawk Extreme Horus Rotary Tattoo Machine
The Dragonhawk Extreme is one of the most versatile tattoo machines this brand offers. It is intended for professional use due to its high-performance and adjustable stroke length. The machine is compatible with traditional tattoo grips and standard cartridges. It is also suitable for different tattoo styles and techniques, so it will meet the preferences of almost any tattoo artist.
- Adjustable stroke length – 1mm to 4mm stroke length
- Suitable for lining, shading, and coloring
- Compatible with standard cartridges
- Smooth and quiet operation
- Sturdy and durable thanks to the pure brass frame
- Heavy for its size; not intended for beginner use
- Only RCA powered
Conclusion – This is a tattoo machine that is only intended for professional use. The machine is properly heavy and it can create some issues for beginners and amateurs. Other than this, the Extreme Hours is an exceptional tattoo machine; it has a solid a durable design, intended for long-term use. The machine is perfect for any style or technique but stands out especially in the case of blackwork tattoos. It runs smoothly and quietly thanks to the custom coreless motor. And of course, the machine has a super stable frequency and strong rebound.
So, Are Dragonhawk Tattoo Machines Good?
Considering the price and the quality of the aforementioned best-selling Dragohawk tattoo machines, we would say that yes, they are good as people say. Because of the lower price, you’d expect to get a low-quality, short-lasting machine. However, that is not the case. Dragonhawk tattoo machines are built to last and provide high-performance with every session.
The only machine we truly had an issue with is the Extreme X2 machine. This one wasn’t as promising as we thought it would be. It has numerous issues, including the rubber band placement (snapping of the rubber band, because it doesn’t come with a needle buckle), as well as the issue with large grouping needles for shading or lining. This can be a deal-breaker for almost any tattoo artist, so we don’t recommend the Extreme X2.
Regarding the other tattoo machines, we concluded that they’re great overall. They run smoothly, ensure accuracy and control, and can run for a long time without heating. Some machines can even run for 10 minutes straight and not heat up, which is excellent. Moreover, these high-performance machines are super affordable and durable, so you’re genuinely getting your money’s worth.