Getting a tattoo requires the skill of a professional tattoo artist. Not just skilled, they should be able to work with you and help you develop a piece that you truly love. You should feel comfortable with your artist and like they are listening to your requirements. Remember, you have to live with the design for life.
21 Best Tattoo Shops in Austin
Whether it’s your first tattoo or another additional to your body, we’ve rounded up some of the best tattoo shops in Austin. These parlors have fantastic tattoo artists and a comfortable environment.
No Good Tattoo
- Website: https://www.nogoodtattoo.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nogoodtattoo/
Started by Emily Ng in 2019, No Good Tattoo is a female-driven tattoo space that pays special attention to the needs of people of color and the LBGTQ+ community. Boasting a community of stick-and-poke tattoo artist, they have both resident and guest artists. Although fans of stick-and-poke, they also have contemporary machine artists.
- Website: https://www.momstattoos.info/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/momstattoosaustin/
Promising “out of this world tattoos at a down to earth price,” Mom’s Tattoo has been a South Austin staple since 2000. This respected studio goes above and beyond to be a clean and safe place to ink people. They even provide care kits after getting tattooed, so your new ink will heal correctly. They tattoo anything you want, with skilled artists covering all different styles.
- Website: http://dovetailtattoo.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/dovetailtattoo/
Dovetail Tattoo was established downtown in 2009. They were so popular they outgrew their small space and opened a second shop in the East in 2017. Their shops are full of versatile and talented artists who ink custom art on their clients. They pride themselves on catering to all types of clients and styles, evolving with the industry.
All Saints Tattoo
- Website: https://www.allsaintstattoo.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/allsaintsatx/
All Saints Tattoo work with some of the best tattoo artists in the world. With two locations, the original downtown Austin shop on historic Sixth Street and the second on Burnet Rs, they specialize in all styles of tattoo artistry. They also love to work with work-in clients as well.
Tiny Tats ATX
- Website: https://www.tinytatsatx.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tinytatsatx/
Tiny Tats ATX is a little shop with big goals, the team are proud to provide a safe space for anyone looking to get inked. Owned by women, they specialize in tattoos of all sizes. Their artist specializes in everything from fine lines to cartoon tattoos and flora/fauna.
Electric 13 Tattoo
- Website: http://electric13tattoo.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/electric13tattoo/
Electric 13 owner Paco Cendón purchased Atomic Tattoo location and renamed it Electric 13. The Austin-based shop now hosts a large, talented portfolio of resident artists that work to make your tattoo dreams a reality.
Little Pricks Tattoo
- Website: https://www.littleprickstattoo.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/littleprickstattoo/
Little Pricks Tattoo Shop is a reputable Austin tattoo parlor whose aim is to make you feel comfortable and relaxed. Their versatile artists can do a range of styles, taking time to explain the process. From huge sleeves to little delicate pieces to first tattoos, Little Pricks will make your tattoo design a reality.
- Website: https://www.arthousetattooaustin.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/arthousetattooaustin/
ArtHouse Tattoo are passionate about their customers and their craft. They see tattooing as a high art form and treat the whole process as an honor and a privilege. Many of their team have over 20 years of experience in the industry. Get a free consultation where their team will impart their wisdom and help you get the right design for you.
Austin Tattoo Company
- Website: https://austintattoocompany.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/theaustintattooco/
Austin Tattoo Company are famed for their special events and flash sales. Walk in and get an Independence Day, Friday the 13th or their Traditional Tuesday flash sales. Fill your body with iconic tattoo designs without breaking the bank.
Did you know:
The Austin Tattoo Company to stand with Austin Pets Alive! APA! is the largest non-kill shelter in the country, and one of Austin’s most renowned non-profits.
- Website: https://moontattoostudio.square.site/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/moontattoostudio/
Moon Tattoo is a predominantly blackwork tattoo studio. They aim to create a safe space for everyone, including non-binary and customers with a deeper skin tone. As well as full time artists, they also work with exciting guest artists.
- Website: https://www.companiontattoo.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/companiontattoo/
Companion Tattoo is a small appointment-only studio based in the heart of Austin Texas. They have a versatile range of artists who can accommodate all types of customers. Their goal is to make their clients feel content, comfortable and acknowledged. From coverups to anime and traditional, Companion Tattoo have you covered.
- Website: https://southsidetattoos.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/southsidetattooatx/
Based in the heart of Austin’s SoCo district, Southside Tattoo is known for having talented, versatile tattoo artists and an atmosphere that is friendly and welcoming to every customer. The shop owners have carefully selected the most talented and friendly artists who tattoo any style you want, in a way that flatters your body and ages gracefully.
- Website: https://www.mainstaytattoo.com/info
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mainstaytattoo/
Mainstay Tattoo opened with the intention of being Austin’s first and only completely classic tattoo shop. They encourage walk-ins to choose from their wall of classic flash tattoos. Although they specialize in western traditional tattoos, their team can also work to other tattoo styles.
Rock of Ages
- Website: https://www.rockofagestattoo.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rockofagestattoo/
Rock of Ages is home to world-renowned tattoo artist with decades of experience between them. Artists Steve Byrne, Tony Hundahl and Katja Ramirez have each been tattooing for nearly 20 years, and they can pull off a variety of styles. From traditional to Japanese and geometric, they are respected tattooists.
Black Dagger Tattoo
- Website: https://blackdaggertattoo.net/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/blackdaggertattooatx/
Black Dagger Tattoo was established by AJ Maloney in 2013 and can be found in the heart of North Central Austin. With world renowned artists and guest tattooers around the globe, there is no style they haven’t mastered. From black and gray to traditional and Japanese, they are experts in their field.
- Website: https://platinumink.net/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/platinuminkatx/
Since 2002, Platinum Ink has been providing Austin with the best tattoo and piercing services complete with reasonable pricing and world-renowned artists. Known for creating distinctive custom tattoos, the artists are happy to design any style.
Cory James Tattoo
- Website: https://www.coryjamestattoo.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/coryjamestattoo/
Cory James has his own tattoo studio in Austin, Texas. He specializes in black and gray tattoos, covering styles like surrealism, portraits, geometric designs, realism, and abstract work alongside linework and dot work.
- Website: https://www.sacramentatx.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sacramentatx/
Since their inception in 2018, Sacrament Tattoo work to hone their tattoo skills whilst maintaining a comfortable environment. They keep an eye on the future of tattooing whilst paying respect to the age old traditional of the art.
Supernova Tattoo Parlour
- Website: https://www.supernovatattootx.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/supernova_tattootx/
Supernova Tattoo Parlour is a family-owned tattoo shop with over 40 years of combined experience. Their versatile artists specialize in tattoos ranging from traditional and tribal artwork to realistic portraits, custom designs, and cover-ups.
Great Wave Tattoo
- Website: https://www.greatwavetattoo.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/greatwavetattoo/
Great Wave has been specializing in all styles of tattooing since 2009. Founder and shop owner, Jason Brooks, has been tattooing in Austin, Texas for over 20 years. His combination of classic American and Japanese tattooing has gained him international respect.
- Website: https://www.512tattooatx.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/512tattoo/
This elite tattoo studio can tattoo any style and design tattoo. Their resident tattooist love inking custom designs. From tradition to Japanese and realistic, one of their artists can help you achieve your goals. Check out their Friday flash sales to get a cool classic design for less?
Tattoo Shops in Austin: More FAQ
What is The Etiquette of Being Tattooed?
You should dress for the day. Wear comfortable clothing that can be easily moved or removed, depending on the part of the body you are getting inked. Think about how comfortable you are showing your body when getting tattooed. Avoid tight clothing that will rub against your fresh tattoo and stop the healing process. Also, remember ink stains, so wear darker clothing that you don’t mind getting stained.
Please be on time to your tattoo appointment. Artists are very busy and have a schedule. Many of the Austin artists and studios mentioned in our article have late/cancellation policies. Because your artist will work close to you, they would appreciate your taking a shower, brushing your teeth and wearing clean clothing.
Try to keep still during your tattoo. We understand that it’s natural to move a bit, but the more you do, the longer it will take to complete the piece. Your tattoo will also look better if you keep still. Also, never don’t touch your tattoo or any of the items in the artist’s work area.
Avoid bringing too many people. Some studios let you bring a friend who is over 18, some prefer you to come alone. If you do bring a friend, they should not get in the way and become a distraction for your artist. If your friend doesn’t like or agree with your tattoo idea, it’s best to avoid inviting them. Also, a tattoo artist never appreciates a know-it-all, who thinks they could do their job better.
Did you know:
Tattoo studios are small places, many can’t accommodate a large crew. Always ask if you can bring someone before the day of your appointment.
How Can I Make My Tattoo Hurt Less?
Getting a tattoo is painful. Everyone has different pain thresholds and sensitivity. The pain of your new tattoo will also depend on the size, the design and the location it’s placed in. There is no way to make your tattoo not hurt at all, but there are ways to helping minimize the pain.
Get a good night’s sleep will make the tattoo process easier to manage. Try to conserve energy by avoiding the gym on the day of your tattoo appointment. You should also eat a good meal before the tattoo and drink plenty of water.
Avoid alcohol the day before your tattoo appointment. Alcohol dehydrates you and drinking a lot can make your blood thinner, both of these things will make the tattoo process harder which could make the tattoo take longer than usual and hurt more.
Did you know:
If the pain is too much, let your artist know. A good artist will let you take breaks.
Also Read: Can You Get a Tattoo on Blood Thinners?
Will I Need to Get My New Tattoo Touched Up Over Time?
Touch ups are inevitable. As you age, so do your tattoos and skin. To keep your tattoo fresh, you can get it touched up. There is no rule to when you need to touch it up, every body is different, and every tattoo has a unique lasting power. If you are concerned your tattoo is fading, see a tattoo artist.
How Can I Keep My Tattoo Looking Good?
Although the skin ages and tattoo naturally fade, there are some ways to keep it looking better for longer.
- Stay out of water whilst it’s healing. Soaking your new tattoo can cause the ink to leak and could even introduce an infection into the open wound.
- Keep hydrated. Drinking water is good for your skin, helping you stay looking supple, fresh and youthful.
- Protect it from the sun. Getting sunburn can hugely impact the healing process. Even after your tattoo has healed, you should try to protect the area with clothing and sunblock. Tattoos will blur faster when regularly exposed to the sun.
- Choose bigger tattoos. The pigment can migrate in the skin, which in smaller designs can blur. Bigger designs will stay looking clearer and recognizable over time.
- There are some areas of the body that don’t take ink as well as others. Fingers, toes, feet, and palms will not age well. This is because the skin is thinner, or they are in an area that is hard to heal.
- Moisturize regularly to keep your tattoos looking bold and brighter for longer.
- White ink can fade quickly. Lighter ink might not even show up on some skin tones as it sits below your natural skin pigmentation.
- Choose a good artist who knows how to work ink into the skin and understand the best designs for ensuring a long lasting design.
How Much do Tattoo Shops in Austin Cost?
Every artist and shop set their own hourly rate, flat rate, and minimum rate. To get an exact price, contact a tattoo studio or an artist. Go to their website and it should let you know the best way to get in touch. It will usually be via phone or email, but some to accept bookings via social media.
Many artists will demand a deposit be put down to secure your appointment. This one time fee will usually be taken to cover the design fees and basic costs. You won’t get your money back if you don’t turn up for your appointment. Most artists will put the deposit fees towards the tattoo.
Did you know:
Tips are not expected but always appreciated much like other service industries in the US.
Do You Need an Appointment For The Best Tattoo Shops in Austin?
Tattoo shops always prefer their customers to make an appointment. Many of the tattoo shops we mention in this article do not accept walk ins. A skilled artist may be booked up for weeks in advanced, a booked artist is a sign of a good one.
Some shops will do special events and sales dedicated to walk-ins. You will not get a custom piece, that requires an appointment, but instead flash art from a pre-determined selection. Check out the rules of the studio in regards in walk-ins first.
- Best Tattoo Shops In NYC: Enjoy The Best Body Art In The Restless City
- Best Tattoo Shops in Seattle: Check The Top Artists’ Portfolio
- 12 Best Tattoo Shops in Dallas 2022 (Location, Reviews, And Services)
- The 9 Best Tattoo Parlors In San Antonio: Where To Get The Best Ink In Texas?
- Best Tattoo Shops in Houston. Look For The Best Artists
- 10 Best Tattoo Shops In Sacramento: Find The Top Artists