There are so many good tattoo shops in Boston, but which are the best? This could be either the easiest or the most difficult question for someone trying to get tattooed in Boston. That is why we’ve decided to take an in-depth look at the Boston tattoo community and select our favorite tattoo studios in the city.
This wasn’t an easy task, since the current studios are probably some of the best in the country. Let’s just say that some of the best tattoo artists in the country work in Boston, and numerous tattoo studios host exceptional tattooists from across the world. So, this list comprises our favorite tattoo studios, which are some of the best in our humble opinion.
We assure you that the list isn’t final, and you are free to further your exploration beyond this list if you’re looking for something more specific. Either way, if you want to get tattooed in Boston, and leave with a masterpiece on your body, then keep on scrolling!
- Qualifications and experience – award-winning tattoo studios, studios with licensing, and accreditations to prove education, experience, safety, and health-protective measures, as well as other qualifications.
- Reputation – most-visited tattoo studios in Boston, with exceptional public and online presence; ratings and comments proving excellent customer service and experience.
- Professionalism – tattoo studios providing a reliable service, judgment-free environment, accepting of everybody (different body types, wheelchairs, etc.).
- Responsiveness and availability – tattoo studios with the best approach to the customers; responsive, approachable, and available staff.
- Service variety – tattoo studios with different service options, from custom tattoos, cover-ups, and touch-ups, to permanent makeup, piercing, and body art or body jewelry options.
Our Top Picks For The Best Tattoo Parlors In Boston
Chameleon Tattoo & Body Piercing Studio
Location – 36 John F. Kennedy Street Cambridge, MA 02138
Website – https://www.chameleonbodyarts.com/
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/chameleonbodyarts/
Services – full custom tattoos, custom designs, variety of tattoo styles, body and face piercings, cosmetic piercings
Chameleon is the first, fully-licensed tattoo and body piercing studio in Cambridge, established in 1995. It is one of the best, most professional tattoo/piercing studios in the Boston area, with highly experienced in-house tattoo artists and piercers.
The tattoo artists specialize in a variety of styles, including traditional Japanese, classic Americana, realism, black & grey, old school, etc. When it comes to the piercers, you can expect a super comfortable experience and high-end body piercing jewelry.
The staff is super friendly and welcoming of every single client. The studio itself is a judgment-free zone, as everyone is striving to provide high-quality service, ensuring everyone feels comfortable, welcome, and safe.
Chameleon is an appointment-only studio, especially when it comes to piercing services. To book a service, make sure to contact them at least 2 weeks before your preferred date.
Good Faith Tattoo Studio
Location – 1018 Commonwealth Avenue Boston, MA 02215
Website – https://goodfaithtattoos.com/home.html
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/goodfaithtattoo/
Services – full custom tattoos, custom designs, various tattoo styles, body piercing, and jewelry
Another exceptional Boston place to get inked at is Good Faith tattoo and piercing studio. The studio was established in 2007, and ever since, provides exceptional service to their clients from all over the state.
The in-house tattoo artists are incredibly talented and have years-long experience in the industry; the same goes for the piercers. We have to mention that the tattoo artists specialize in larger, colorful tattoo designs, as well as traditional tattoos, portraits, and body art.
The staff at the studio is super friendly and welcoming. Everything is clean, and the staff always strives to make you feel comfortable, welcomed, and safe. At the shop, the clients can choose to get tattoo designs fully designed by the tattoo artists. They can also buy designed shirts, pins, and flash sheets
The studio no longer accepts walk-ins, so you need to have an appointment for both tattoo or piercing sessions. However, same-day appointments may be available.
Pino Bros Ink Tattoo Studio & Company
Location – 1132 Cambridge Street Cambridge, MA 02139
Website – http://pinobrosink.com/
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/pinobrosink/
Services – full custom tattoos, custom designs, single-sitting tattoos, touch-ups, and cover-ups
Pino Bros Ink is a custom tattoo art studio and a management company, providing some of the best tattooing services in the Boston area. At this studio, you can get a fully customized tattoo, but also bring your own ideas, sketches, and drawings to turn them into permanent masterpieces on your skin.
The in-house tattoo artists are super talented and experienced, always knowing what the clients want. With years of experience and highly educated, these tattoo artists will make sure you feel comfortable throughout the whole process, whether tattooing or piercing.
Overall, the staff is extremely friendly and welcoming. The studio is a judgment-free zone, welcoming clients of any race, ethnicity, sex, body shape, and size, etc. At Pino Bros Ink, there is no room for discrimination, only creativity, and art.
Pino Bros Ink offers walk-ins, or same-day appointments, as well as regular tattoo/piercing scheduling. The studio also is open through the week, with adjusted working hours during the weekends.
Regeneration Tattoo Studio
Location – 155 Harvard Avenue Allston, MA 02134
Website – https://regenerationtattoo.com/home.html
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/regeneration_tattoos/
Services – full custom tattoos, custom designs, body piercings, same-day appointments
Another exceptional place to get tattooed in Boston is the Regeneration tattoo studio. Here, you can get tattooed by independent artists who have decades of experience in the industry. The tattoo artists are highly talented and educated individuals who offer fully customized designs and tattoos, regardless of the tattoo style you prefer.
When it comes to the staff, we can say that everyone is super friendly and Regeneration is generally known for having a welcoming and comfortable atmosphere in the studio. Everyone pays special attention to cleanliness, a job well done, and the fact that the client feels comfortable throughout the whole tattoo/piercing process.
Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 regulations, Regeneration doesn’t offer walk-in sessions to their clients, but same-day appointments are possible. Walk-in consultations are available only for customers looking to get a custom tattoo.
The Gallery Tattoo Studio
Location – 1139 Main Street Concord, MA 01742
Website – https://www.thegallerytattoostudio.com/
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/thegallerytattoostudio/
Services – full custom tattoos, custom designs, touch-ups and cover-ups, variety of tattoo styles, body art
The Gallery is one of the staples in the Boston tattoo community. This tattoo studio was established in 2012, so it is relatively new. However, in the past few years, the in-house tattoo artists have proven they’re worth the hype thanks to their incredible talent and years-long experience. The artists specialize in a variety of tattoo styles, so you can get whatever kind of tattoo you want.
The staff at the studio is highly professional and clients generally speak highly of The Gallery. The focus of the staff is always on perfectionism, cleanliness, and ensuring the clients feel welcome, comfortable, and safe.
The Gallery used to be open for walk-in sessions, but currently, the studio only prefers appointments. The reason for this is the COVID-19 regulations, of course, but also the fact that the artists aren’t always available. So, clients are strongly encouraged to set appointments and contact the studio before a visit.
Witch City Ink Tattoo Studio
Location – 186 Essex Street Salem, MA 01970
Website – http://www.witchcityink.com/
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/witchcityink/
Services – full custom tattoos, custom designs, body art, cover-ups, touch-ups
Among some of the best tattoo studios in the Boston area is the Witch City Ink studio. Founded in 2008, the studio comprises tattoo artists with years-long experience in the industry. The tattoo artists are exceptionally talented individuals, striving to offer perfect tattoos to every single client. Alongside full custom tattoos and unique designs, this studio offers touch-ups and cover-up tattoos as well.
The studio is a judgment-free zone, welcoming every single client regardless of their race, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, body shape, and size, etc. Essentially, the studio ensures every client feels welcome and comfortable throughout the whole tattooing journey.
This studio doesn’t welcome walk-ins, so booking an appointment is a must. It is essential you book an appointment at least a month prior to your available date since tattoo artists are generally booked 4 to 6 weeks in advance.
Other Boston Tattoo Studios To Check Out
- Visible Ink Tattoo Studio – Visible Ink is one of the best tattoo studios in Boston that specializes in traditional Japanese, neotraditional and geometric tattoos. The in-house tattoo artists provide custom designs, full color or black & grey tattoos. The staff is super professional and friendly, ensuring you feel comfortable throughout the whole tattooing process. The studio is open throughout the week, with adjusted working hours during Sundays.
- The Black Veil Tattoo & Piercing Studio – if you’re looking to get a perfect black & grey tattoo in Boston, then make sure to check out the Black Veil tattoo &piercing studio. This studio specializes in specific black & grey, gothic- or horror-inspired tattoos. They do custom designs but also work up client’s preferences, drawings, etc. The staff is super friendly and welcoming, ensuring every client feels comfortable and at home.
- Redemption Tattoo Inc. – at the Redemption tattoo & piercing studio you can get exceptional service for a reasonable price. The studio was established almost two decades ago, and to this day offers some of the best tattooing and piercing work in the Boston area. The in-house artists are highly talented and specialize in different tattoo styles. So, if you’re looking for a high-quality tattoo or piercing, make sure to check out Redemption Tattoo Inc.; just remember to book an appointment first.
- Best Tattoo Shops in Philadelphia: Where To Get Inked In Philly?
- 16 Top-Rated Tattoo Shops In Atlanta: Ratings, Services, and Experience
- Best Tattoo Shops In NYC: Enjoy The Best Body Art In The Restless City
- 12 Best Tattoo Shops In Chicago (2023 Updated)
- 13 Leading Tattoo Shops In Charlotte, NC: Choose The Top Artists In Town