As much as we love showing off our precious body art, sometimes you simply have to hide it and shift the focus from the tattoos to yourself. For example, maybe you’re having an important job interview, a passport picture to be taken, or maybe your boss has an issue with your visible tattoos. Whatever the reason is, to properly hide a tattoo, you need high-quality makeup.
Maybe you thought we’d recommend tattoo fading or complete removal. No way! If you can hide the tattoo, then you should avoid getting rid of your precious ink. We’re not going to talk about some laser treatments; only the good old makeup tips and tricks everyone with tattoos should know.
So, without further ado, let’s talk about our top picks for full-coverage concealers and foundations that hide your tattoos and act as a second skin!
9 Best Tattoo Cover Up Makeup: Full-Coverage Concealers and Foundations To Cover Up Tattoos
1. Tarte Shape Tape Concealer – High Performance and Full-Coverage
We’re starting with a bang; the Tarte Shape Tape concealer has become the beauty industry favorite years ago and still reigns on the beauty throne as one of the best concealers out there. It is designed to cover up the under-eye area, as well as contour and hide blemishes and irregularities on the face.
However, due to its high-performance, full-coverage formula, this concealer does an excellent job covering tattoos. It comes with a doe-foot application, but you can also apply it with a brush.
2. Mac Studio Fix Fluid SPF 15 Foundation – Buildable Coverage and Long Wear
This foundation is one of the Mac’s best sellers; for a reason. The foundation has such an exceptional, buildable formula, that can go from medium to full coverage, depending on your preferences. Because of the shine-control, matte finish, this foundation will not only fully cover the tattoo, but also won’t give away that you’ve used anything to cover it in the first place.
There are 63 shades of the Mac Studio Fix foundation, so you can be sure to find your best possible match if you struggle with undertones and suitable colors. Sometimes, to cover a tattoo, you might have to alter your shade range, and Mac foundations are perfect for that.
3. Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage Concealer – Long Wear and High Pigment
One of the most iconic concealers is Laura Mercier’s Secret Camouflage concealer. It’s a full-coverage product that is highly pigmented. It covers up any flaws and imperfections and works even better for tattoos. The tattoo color won’t come through the concealer, since it’s full-coverage and thoroughly pigmented.
The concealer comes with two shades that allow you to customize the undertone and the shade, to match your skin tone and cover the tattoo simultaneously. Because of its natural finish and long wear, you won’t even notice the concealer, nor will it wear off after only a few hours. Your tattoo will remain a secret until you remove the concealer.
4. Dermablend Quick-Fix Body Foundation Stick – Water-Resistant and Fade-Proof
This Dermablend foundation stick is specifically made to be used as a body foundation. Its exceptional formula is designed to help you cover not only tattoos, but also stretch marks, varicose or spider veins, scars, burns, and bruises. The foundation is also water-resistant and fade-proof which makes it perfect for summertime tattoo coverage.
This foundation is dermatologist-tested for safety; it is also tested for sensitive skin and allergy-prone skin. You can also wear this foundation for up to 16 hours and expect it to provide full coverage even after the full day of wearing.
5. KVD Beauty Lock-It Concealer Creme – Full-Coverage and Long Wear
Another exceptional, tattoo-covering concealer comes from KVD Beauty. This concealer is blendable and full-coverage, ensuring every blemish and flaw is fully covered throughout the day. The concealer is so effective that it successfully covers scars, burns, acne breakouts, and of course, tattoos.
It is also a bit thicker, so bear in mind if you tend to use it during hot, summer days. In that case, you might have to use a setting powder to lock it completely in place. Other than that, this is a perfect, day-to-day product you can use to conceal tattoos anywhere on your body.
6. Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Invisible Cover Stick Foundation – Natural Finish and Full-Coverage
This might be one of the best stick foundations for this task. To cover a tattoo, the foundation doesn’t only need to be full-coverage but also appears natural. The Make Up For Ever stick foundation blends nicely with the tone of your skin while covering the tattoo perfectly.
It is creamy, blendable, and long-lasting, so you can be sure to wear it throughout the day without falling off. The foundation feels like a second skin, to be precise. It is suitable for dry skin, since it’s hydrating, and it won’t move even during the hottest summer days. This is one of the most recommended stick foundations in the beauty industry, and now you know why.
7. Too Faced Born This Way Multi-Use Sculpting Concealer – Full-Coverage and Hydration
The Born This Way concealer does a great job at providing full-coverage performance while maintaining proper hydration of the skin. This is the kind of concealer that ensures skin breathability and doesn’t clog pores. So, wherever your tattoo is placed, you can stay assured the concealer won’t cause a breakout.
The concealer is also buildable, without looking patchy or cakey on the skin. It has a natural, matte finish, suitable for long wear even during the summer. There are dozens of shades available, so you can be sure to find one that fits your skin tone, as well as the color of the tattoo.
8. Dermablend Cover Creme Foundation – High Performance and Maximum Coverage
Another exceptional Dermablend product on this list is the Cover Creme foundation. Now, this product is the real deal; the foundation has such a high-quality formula that it covers blemishes, uneven skin tone, birthmarks, burns, scars, tattoos, lupus, and vitiligo without appearing cakey or patchy.
It is also a high-performance foundation, which means, it will last up to 16 hours on your skin, without moving or falling off. Needless to say, it is the perfect tattoo cover-up makeup for the summer, since this foundation provides broad-spectrum SPF 30 to protect the skin. The foundation is super easy to apply; it simply glides onto the skin and leaves it soft and hydrated.
9. NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer – Long Wear and Luminous Coverage
This is an award-winning concealer, that has been in the game for years now. No other concealer comes close to the iconic NARS Radiant Creamy concealer. This product will have your tattoo hidden so well, you’ll forget you ever had it in the first place. The concealer provides full coverage, obviously, but it also ensures the skin is soft, smooth, and luminous.
It is hydrating and breathable; it won’t clog the pores or cause skin breakout, regardless of where you place it. The concealer is sweat-resistant, humidity-proof, as well as water-resistant. It won’t crease and will stay on perfectly for up to 16 hours.
Tips For Using Makeup To Cover Tattoos
Here are some quick tips on how to properly use makeup to cover tattoos;
- Only use full-coverage foundations and concealers. Only then can you expect your tattoo to be well-hidden, and stay so throughout the day.
- Apply the full-coverage foundation first, so that it acts as a proper base for the concealer. Do not go overboard with the foundation; apply a thin layer of a full-coverage foundation.
- Go for a foundation that feels weightless on the skin, especially during the summer. It if feels tacky and cakey, it won’t do a good job covering the tattoo for a longer time.
- Apply a thin layer of a full-coverage concealer over the foundation to really ensure the tattoo stays hidden. Go for a weightless concealer, with a waterproof formula to ensure it stays on even if you sweat or take a dip in the pool.
- You can use the applicator provided with the product, but to ensure the tattoo stays truly covered, go either for a beauty blender or your fingers. A beauty blender will ensure seamless, natural coverage, while your fingers will ensure the product melts into the skin.
- And finally, use a setting powder to lock in the foundation and concealer in place. You can even you some makeup setting spray, or combine it with the setting powder.
Overall, covering up a tattoo with makeup is pretty similar to using makeup on your face. Just make sure to use high-quality, full-coverage products. Otherwise, you may not get the results you wish for. After you’re done with your day, make sure to wash the makeup off the tattoo with lukewarm water and soap. Tap it dry and apply a hydration lotion.